Friday, November 7, 2008

Entry # 6: Kalle

On Mother's Day 2006 I found out that my sister Carol was pregnant with her second child. Her first daughter, Nell, is such a wonderful addition to our family that we were all excited that Carol was expecting her second baby. Unfortunately, just two weeks later Carol was diagnosed with breast cancer. We were all concerned about Carol and this new baby she was carrying. Luckily, Carol found the best doctors and was able to receive the best care for both herself and her unborn child. Every doctor Carol talked to reassured her that she could begin chemotherapy and carry her child full term without any problems. What a relief it was to all of us to know that because of the advances in medical treatment my sister and her unborn baby would both be fine. During Carol's pregnancy she went through a full round of chemotherapy that did not affect the baby one bit. Although it was not an easy time, Carol survived the treatment and being pregnant with much grace and dignity. During this time her little daughter Nell was her loudest cheerleader! Every night Nell prayed that her mother and the baby would be cured and the cancer would go away. I know God heard those prayers and answered them on December 28, 2006 when Kalle Michael Smith was born. Although Carol lost her hair and was bald on the day she gave birth, her daughter came out with a full head of hair looking as healthy as could be. After Kalle was born Carol went through a more aggressive round of chemotherapy followed by radiation. And, just like with her previous treatments she handled it like a champ with her now two cheerleaders by her side every step of the way.

I think of this story and all of God's blessings when I see this picture of Kalle. I imagine her in Carol's womb with the light of prayers and God's love keeping her safe and healthy. Where the light hits the water and small twinkles of light are reflected I see my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends who are in heaven today with God. I know that each of them were looking down on Carol and also sending sparkles of love her way. This picture will forever remind me that love, hope and faith are what keep us all going and what creates miracles like Kalle - the littlest breast cancer survivor.

By the way, if you ever wonder if your donations to charities are actually doing any good, now you know they do. Although a cure for breast cancer has not yet been found, Kalle is living proof of the advancements in treatment! So, next time you are asked to give to a charity to fight cancer or some other disease know that every dollar you donate is making a difference!

-Gayle


19 comments:

  1. A beautiful story and picture.
    -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way Jenny captured the sparkling water. I vote for my daughter Kalle.

    Carolsmith04@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photographer has really captured the essence of this child, and at the same time allows the viewer a moment to stop and remember what it was like to be a kid stomping gleefully through the water's edge with squishy sand between our toes. Very nice.

    Reading the submitter's comments, I can see a little girl with an army of sparkling angels behind her and a calm and serene future before her. She looks happy, in love and free as she steps into life.

    -Laura Spicer
    Boulder, CO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for Kalle!!!
    I can almost see the angels following and guiding her
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I vote again???
    I choose Kalle
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely Beautiful Photo!
    It looks like the twinkles in the water are following her.
    How often does a little girl get to wear a little white dress in the water? PRICELESS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who could not vote for Kalle!!!
    It's a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may be prejudice, but I vote for #6 Kalle, she is my granddaughter. All the pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This picture captures everything that childhood should be: carefree, innocent, and living in the moment.

    A vote for Kalle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I submitted this one. Does my vote count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the picture, ithas my vote :)


    Kelly D.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ABSOLUTELY PRECIOUS..... I love how the light looks like little angels joyfully dancing behind her. God Bless. I vote for #6 Kalle.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  13. I vote for Kalle #6. Great Pic.

    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tossing my vote in for Kalle as well.

    I like sparklies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sugar and Spice and everything nice. That's what little girls are made of!

    I vote for Kalle!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another vote for Kalle.

    What a cute picture!

    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another vote for Kalle.

    What a cute picture!

    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  18. I voted for the beautiful Smith family. Kalle is a miracle and proof that prayers are answered. Best wishes to Carol and her family.

    ReplyDelete